Over 100 Years of Arnold
Lumber History Arnold Lumber grew into one of RI's Premier Lumberyards
Carold "Kit" D. Arnold purchased a small wood lot at Ridge Hill in
N. Kingstown in 1911.
Logs were cut by hand then taken to a local sawmill to be planed. The
planed lumber was shipped via the Kingston Freight Yard throughout New
Shortly after clearing the wood lot at Ridge Hill, Kit had to travel as
far as Maine to gather pine to support his growing lumber business.
During one of those trips to Maine, Kit and his son Arthur Arnold, Sr.
came up with the idea to bring back extra lumber to supply to local builders.
In these early days the lumber was kept in the family garage.
In 1952, the first lumber shed was built on Fairgrounds Road in West Kingston.
Not quite equipped as a retail location, often customers would come by
on Sunday, even though no one was there, pick out the wood they needed,
and leave a note saying they would return to make payment on Monday. So
began Arnold Lumber's commitment to customer service!
In 1975 Art Arnold, Jr. came home from the Army Corps to join the family
By 1982 the company had acquired the Berger Lumber Company in West Kingston
and moved into its current location.
In 1990 Arnold Lumber purchased its Wakefield location, which locally
everyone knew as "The Branch". You will find lumber, hardware, electrical,
plumbing, paints, seasonal products and more at our Wakefield branch.
In 2003 Arnold Lumber opened its Bristol location. A full service lumber
yard and showroom to service the East Bay, and nearby Massachusetts communities.
our mailing list to receive promotions, special events, industry news and training