• About

  • About

Over 100 Years of Arnold Lumber History

Arnold Lumber > About
 
Arnold Lumber Mission Statement Graphic
 

 

 

Carold "Kit" D. Arnold purchased a small wood lot at Ridge Hill in N. Kingstown in 1911.

Logs were cut by hand then taken to a local sawmill to be planed. The planed lumber was shipped via the Kingston Freight Yard throughout New England.

Shortly after clearing the wood lot at Ridge Hill, Kit had to travel as far as Maine to gather pine to support his growing lumber business.

 
 

During one of those trips to Maine, Kit and his son Arthur Arnold, Sr. came up with the idea to bring back extra lumber to supply to local builders. In these early days the lumber was kept in the family garage.

In 1952, the first lumber shed was built on Fairgrounds Road in West Kingston. Not quite equipped as a retail location, often customers would come by on Sunday, even though no one was there, pick out the wood they needed, and leave a note saying they would return to make payment on Monday.

So began Arnold Lumber's commitment to customer service!

In 1975 Art Arnold, Jr. came home from the Army Corps to join the family business.

By 1982 the company had acquired the Berger Lumber Company in West Kingston and moved into its current location at 251 Fairgrounds Road. Home to our corporate office and full service lumber yard offering building materials with a full line of masonry supplies.

 
 

In 1990 Arnold Lumber Company purchased its Wakefield location at 297 Main St., It was locally known as "The Branch". Here you will find lumber, hardware, electrical, plumbing, paints, seasonal products, cabinetry and a Kitchen & Bath Design Center and Showroom.

 

In 2003, we opened our Bristol location at 545 Metacom Avenue. This is a full service lumber yard and showroom offering building materials and masonry supplies to service the East Bay, and nearby Massachusetts communities.

 
 
 

In 2013 Arnold Lumber Company officially opened its fourth location at 124 Oak Street in Westerly. This location previously known as Hanley & Williams Lumber Company, hopes to build trusted relationships with our customers while supporting the local community. It is our goal in this location to continue providing the highest level of service and building long and mutually beneficial relationships with former Hanley & Williams customers and employees as well as develop new relationships with Contractors in the Westerly and Eastern Connecticut communities. A full service lumber yard offering building materials, a full line of masonry supplies, cabinetry, and a Kitchen & Bath Design Center & Showroom.